Saturday 3 March 2012

shooting Riggy Raw

Shooting photos in RAW format has taken some time to get used to, and to truth be told I was dragged into it kicking and screaming 'I don't want to, I don't want toooooooo' . Shooting Jpeg is faster, easier to work with as the file is much smaller and semi-processed for you and is fairly close to being print and internet ready straight from the cmaera. RAW however is a different kettle of fish. The files are large and cumbersome in comparison, it takes the camera longer to write them and they need converted via a RAW convertor before I even begin to spring clean them in photoshop (multiply this time by several hundred photos taken on the wedding day and what you have is a lorryload of extra work on your hands). However, the results can be beautiful, the range of tones and detail much greater, and there's a margin for error on the photographer's behalf that is very useful, i.e. over or underexposed areas canbe rescued.
Below is a photo from a wedding last week, as an example I've attached the original Jpeg and a processed RAW version side by side for comparison.

Anyway, now I've emptied my brain onto this page I must get back to the hoovering. I hope this will inspire those non-RAW shooters to give it a try, and my future brides to take comfort knowing that they are being shot in RAW format!!



Good day to you